I’ve a vague idea that I’m going to try and walk as many Welsh mountains as possible, taking snaps as I go along and posting a list here of each one.
There are, according to this list, 188 peaks in Wales over 610m, which is one of main classifications of an official mountain – in Wales there are many hills that are known as mountains locally, even if they are not.
I will start listing them below in numerical order, filling in the – very, very many at this stage, blanks as I go!
Completed so far: 27/189 (one has since been added and I have walked it).
- 1 – Snowdon (3,560ft | 1,085m)
- 20 – Pen y Fan (2,907ft | 886m)
- 22 – Corn Du (2,864ft, | 873m)
- 34* – Craig Gwaun Taf [Duwynt] (2,711 | 826.4m)
- 41 – Fan Brycheiniog (2,631ft | 802m)
- 45 – Cribyn (2,608ft | 795m)
- 53 – Waun Rydd (2,523ft | 769m)
- 55 – Fan Hir (2,497ft | 761m)
- 58 – Bwlch y Ddwyallt (2,474ft | 754m)
- 62 – Bannau Sir Gaer – Picws Du (2,457ft | 749m)
- 69 – Fan Fawr (2,408ft | 734m)
- 72 – Fan Gyhirych (2,379ft | 725m)
- 78** – Fan y Big (2,359ft | 719m)
- 107 – Waun Lefrith (2,221ft | 677m)
- 119 – Fan Fraith (2,192ft | 668m)
- 123 – Fan Nedd (2,175ft | 663)
- 128 – Great Rhos (2,165ft | 660m)
- 135 – Allt Lwyd (2,146ft | 654m)
- 137 – Black Mixen (2,133ft | 650m)
- 151 – Garreg Las (Twyn Swnd) (2,083ft | 635m)
- 156 – Fan Llia (2,073ft | 632m)
- 161 – Craig Cerrig-gleisiad (2,064ft | 629m)
- 162 – Fan Frynych (2,064ft | 629m)
- 175 – Y Gyrn (2,031ft | 619m)
- 176 – Cefn yr Ystrad (2,024ft | 617m)
- 178 – Garreg Lwyd (Moel Gornach) (2,021ft | 616m)
- 186 – Bache Hill (2,001ft | 610m)
*This is a newly added mountain not on the original list of 188 I was working from, so it would come in at number 34, but that throws off any mountain below it by one, so I will leave it at 34 with this note, rather than re-number all of the others.
**Fan y Big has been downgraded and is no longer a mountain. I am leaving it on this list anyway, just because.